TAK Escrima sticks are nearly indestructible yet are perfect for partner training. The last pair of Escrima sticks you will ever need to buy!
|TAK Bodyguard "Flash"||1"||6.6||Lightweight polymer stick; very fast & strong|
|TAK Bodyguard "Speed"||1"||8.1||Polymer stick close in weight to lighter rattan|
|TAK Bodyguard "Force"||7/8"||9||Smaller diameter middle weight stick, black|
|TAK Bodyguard "Impact"||1"||9.7||Polymer stick close in weight to rattan|
|TAK Bodyguard "Max"||1"||13||Polymer stick, near kamagong weight, not as rigid|
|TAK Bodyguard "+P"||1 1/8"||17||Heavy, for strong, large practitioners|
|TAK Bodyguard "+P+"||1 1/4"||21||Very heavy, strong with large hands, strength training|
Escrima Stick Evaluation: The Background
• During the early stages of Escrima stick development years ago, every synthetic and non-natural material that was available was tested- rigorously. Everything from fiberglass to nylon to carbon fiber to aluminum to polycarbonate.
• Hands down, we and everyone else who tried them, kept picking up one particular stick that had the best characteristics that we all wanted:
• weight ranges close to rattan,
• reduced shock,
• and indestructible.
• These are sticks you can hit against a telephone pole as hard as you like and then carry into the studio for partner training. As luck would have it, the material cost was high! So, a decision had to be made; carry a less than perfect Escrima stick that the customer might use occasionally or have to be replaced, or carry an expensive stick that lasts forever and covers the entire range of training. The later was chosen.
• Consider this, the next time you buy an inexpensive Escrima stick for half the price, the next one you buy would have paid for your Bodyguard Stick that you will never replace!
Many Options = Selection Confusion? Here are some tips:
• New Practitioner: If you are just starting your Escrima stick training, in most cases, you will be happier with the lighter/ moderate weight Bodyguard Escrima sticks such as the Speed, Force, or Impact. The weight difference makes a BIG difference in how the stick feels and the impact it delivers when striking. It is more than you would imagine if you have never tried it (or felt it)! This allows for more "mistakes" when partner training. Try the Speed if you have limited upper body strength or the Impact if you are strong. Use the Flash if you want to minimize impact to your partner.
• Experienced Practitioner: If you are satisfied with how your rattan or wax wood sticks feel now, use a Postage Scale to determine which is the closest to your favorite. Most likely, it will be a Speed, Force, or Impact.
• Strength Training: If you already use kamagong or have wanted a heavier stick for strength or pell training, then by all means, pick up the Bodyguard Max. The +P and +P+ are for extreme strength conditioning or for practitioners that have big hands/ are very strong.
• Competition: If you are competing, use the Flash since its light weight will give the fastest response to score points. Check with the rules committee to insure they will allow a synthetic stick. Note: Due to the Flash stick's thin wall, it is susceptible to bending with heavy use so use it under light to moderate training conditions.
• Length: It is best to ask your instructor. Different styles dictate the length and that may be combined with your body size/ arm length. If you are solo training, here is a rule of thumb you can try: Under 5'4" height, use 24". Between 5'5" and 5'10", use 26". Over 5'10", use 28". Now factor this in addition to your height: If you want a length for practical close range training, pick a shorter length. Bottom line is that the length involves multiple factors: style, body geometry, and "why are you training?".
• LEO Training: Most agencies are using the Speed model if they are not using our actual TAK Training Batons. The Speed is lightweight but strong and will hold up to day to day training classes.
Attention LEO Training Instructor's: For baton training with our Bodyguard Sticks, you can use our sheath which rotates. Most of you are using grip tape on the sticks so this acts as the perfect "stop" when re-holstering. This sheath will make a very secure hold on the stick while allowing good rotation for drawing/ sitting.
The Flash Escrima Stick is available in 6 lengths. This is a lightweight stick suitable for competition, new students, and where low impact is desired. The Flash stick has the thinnest wall thickness of all versions and is susceptible to bending...
The Speed Synthetic Escrima Stick is a light/ moderate stick that replicates the weight of many lightweight rattan sticks. Available in 6 lengths. Price is per stick. Type Diam. Oz's. Notes Straight grain smooth rattan 1" 6.4 Lightweight stick. Very...
The Force Escrima Stick has been permanently discontinued. We were not satisfied with the amount of flex in this model and also had issues with the material supplier. All of our products must meet the requirement of being something we...
The Flash Escrima Stick is available in 6 lengths. This is a medium weight stick that is near to high grade dense rattan. Price is per stick. Type Diam. Oz's. Notes Straight grain smooth rattan 1" 6.4 Lightweight stick. Very smooth...
The Max Escrima Stick is available in 6 lengths. This 1" heavy weight synthetic escrima stick is suitable for strength training. If you already use kamagong or have wanted a heavier stick for strength or pell training, then by all...
The +P Escrima Stick is available in 6 lengths. This 1 1/8" heavy weight synthetic escrima stick is suitable for strength training. The larger grip is suitable for practitioners with large hands. Price is per stick. Type Diam. Oz's. Notes Straight grain...
The +P+ Escrima Stick is available in 6 lengths. This 1 1/4" very heavy weight synthetic escrima stick is suitable for strength training. The larger grip is suitable for practitioners with large hands. Price is per stick. Type Diam. Oz's. Notes Straight...
• These tapes for Escrima Sticks were tested against many brands and picked for their proper characteristics for stick use. Big roll, low odor, high quality were key considerations. • For the hand area, use Grip Tape for maximum connection to the hand. Use...
Expandable Sheath for Small to Medium Training Knives and Batons: Sheath rotates and snaps to 8 positions for many carry options. Fits belts up to 1.75" or clips over a gi or sweats. Expands to fit most small to med...